Q
QuickBpBp Offline
master
QuickBpBp  Offline
master
Q

SE PA.
Quote:

Isn't there going to be a magazine article on this engine? You'd think R&R would do their best to avoid any bad publicity.

You might get all the money back if that's the case...sending a link to THIS thread would probably help...
Sorry to see all the problems..

Re: ANOTHER SETBACK . [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #449391
03/24/10 07:24 PM
03/24/10 07:24 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

Ryan,

WILL R&R refund Rons money in FULL??

Well, I sure hope so.... all I can tell you is the new Carrillo's won't cost Ron a cent... but sometimes it's not all about $ & cents... this whole ordeal has cost him lots of down time & wasted labor etc. But I think in end it will be a much nicer/safer motor with a set of Carrillo's in it. I was worried about those R&R's from day I pulled them out of boxes, they looked a bit "spindly" in the beam area from a side view... I think they would have lived, but would always be in back of my mind, & now the machining errors just threw their use completely out window.

Re: ANOTHER SETBACK . [Re: RyanJ] #449392
03/25/10 09:20 AM
03/25/10 09:20 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
WOW. I've read good novels that weren't the page-turners this thread was...

That is absolutely crazy about those rods. I read that, and then i read the even sadder follow-up, and all i can think about is that other thread (and many others like it) where guys are complaining that they shouldn't have to do basic checks on a new set ov $1000 Chinese aluminum heads before bolting them on...

I'm a details kind ov guy, i can go crazy over the details, but reading this stuff i think i'd be far too paranoid to be an engine-builder.

Also, i read about the miniscule rod length variances on those RR's, and i'm reminded ov the last set ov LY rods i measured where the longest in one engine was 5/16" longer than the shortest...

Maybe its just me... but has anyone else reading this had a passing thought ov painting this thing orange, putting on some stock VC's, maybe a super-creative intake and putting this in a F.A.S.T. car...??? I'm sure the judges wouldn't notice... . . .

Re: ANOTHER SETBACK . [Re: Pale_Roader] #449393
03/25/10 09:30 AM
03/25/10 09:30 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Very interesting thread. Being a machinist by trade, all I can think is that they are honing the rods by hand rather than in a fixture on a machine which would make the big and little end bores perpendicular to the rest of the rod. Honing by hand would be OK for a daily driver but not for a high horspower, close tolerance engine.

Re: ANOTHER SETBACK . [Re: Pale_Roader] #449394
03/25/10 09:33 AM
03/25/10 09:33 AM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
Quote:

That is absolutely crazy about those rods. I read that, and then i read the even sadder follow-up, and all i can think about is that other thread (and many others like it) where guys are complaining that they shouldn't have to do basic checks on a new set ov $1000 Chinese aluminum heads before bolting them on...

He couldnt, the block has been heavily modified externally for weight savings, and its not stock appearing.

Otherwise a good idea!!

I'm a details kind ov guy, i can go crazy over the details, but reading this stuff i think i'd be far too paranoid to be an engine-builder.

Also, i read about the miniscule rod length variances on those RR's, and i'm reminded ov the last set ov LY rods i measured where the longest in one engine was 5/16" longer than the shortest...

Maybe its just me... but has anyone else reading this had a passing thought ov painting this thing orange, putting on some stock VC's, maybe a super-creative intake and putting this in a F.A.S.T. car...??? I'm sure the judges wouldn't notice... . . .

the block isnt stock appearing, but its a good idea.

I dont think a "stock" block will fit those guts.

Kasey

Last edited by moparnut426; 03/25/10 09:34 AM.
Re: ANOTHER SETBACK . [Re: Moparnut426] #449395
03/25/10 10:22 AM
03/25/10 10:22 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

He couldnt, the block has been heavily modified externally for weight savings, and its not stock appearing.

Otherwise a good idea!!

the block isnt stock appearing, but its a good idea.

I dont think a "stock" block will fit those guts.

Kasey

Oh i fully realize this, but the mind gets to thinkin'...

Man, how much fun i could have if i was rich...

It's FINISHED! [Re: Pale_Roader] #449396
07/03/10 07:57 PM
07/03/10 07:57 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I finished the 501 today. It took almost exactly 11 months!

Who wants to put it on the dyno??

6067442-MVC-168F.JPG (378 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449397
07/03/10 08:02 PM
07/03/10 08:02 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Damn, it`s about time.......looks great and I have a ROLLING dyno we can use.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Thumperdart] #449398
07/03/10 08:58 PM
07/03/10 08:58 PM
ohio
A
all spooled up Offline
super stock
all spooled up  Offline
super stock
A

ohio
what did you use for lifters ?????????

Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: all spooled up] #449399
07/03/10 09:15 PM
07/03/10 09:15 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
We finally got the lifters that were promised to us, something like 8 months ago, from the people that took over Crane Cams (Ryan, correct me if I am wrong).

They are a little unconventional in that they do not have all that shrouding over over the lifter wheel. I think the OEM's and aftermarket want that depending on the Block. Depending on how big the oil gallery feed/intersection is. With the R3 48 Deg block the lifter is dry or the machinest puts the oil feed in and it is precise and controlled and usually a lot smaller. So there are no issues uncovering the oil gallery. Also the semi edge orfice/oil feed is on the side, away from the block oil feed so it will never intersect and overfeed the pushrod.

These are a short travel lifter with race valving. The plunger only has .050 travel and they want them preloaded .012 to .025. I am at .025 because I ordered my Pushrods slightly too long.

This is basically a race hydraulic roller mopar lifter with a straight Small block Chevy link bar. C/C is 1.56, same as Small Block Chevy.

6067537-MVC-166F.JPG (247 downloads)
Last edited by dragrcr97; 07/03/10 09:19 PM.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449400
07/03/10 09:17 PM
07/03/10 09:17 PM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
These also use a spiral lock and washer to retain the plunger. Looks really strong.

6067540-MVC-167F.JPG (234 downloads)

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449401
07/03/10 09:48 PM
07/03/10 09:48 PM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
one of the nicest lookin a body's out there..still have the magazine w ur valiant...good luck

Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449402
07/03/10 11:13 PM
07/03/10 11:13 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

We finally got the lifters that were promised to us, something like 8 months ago, from the people that took over Crane Cams (Ryan, correct me if I am wrong).

They are a little unconventional in that they do not have all that shrouding over over the lifter wheel. I think the OEM's and aftermarket want that depending on the Block. Depending on how big the oil gallery feed/intersection is. With the R3 48 Deg block the lifter is dry or the machinest puts the oil feed in and it is precise and controlled and usually a lot smaller. So there are no issues uncovering the oil gallery. Also the semi edge orfice/oil feed is on the side, away from the block oil feed so it will never intersect and overfeed the pushrod.

These are a short travel lifter with race valving. The plunger only has .050 travel and they want them preloaded .012 to .025. I am at .025 because I ordered my Pushrods slightly too long.

Ron you did'nt measure the pushrods so that the lifter would be pre-loaded with adjuster all way backed off did you? T&D actually wants the adjuster down about 1- 1 1/4 turn from backed all way back out.... If you had them right length in that 1 1/4 turn range, you could easily knock .013" out of your preload... (then they might be about 1 tune from all way backed out) But probabbly won't be big deal.... sometimes on those hyd rollers they just sound little quieter with more or less pre-load so it's nice to be able to have free range of adjustment for that reason.

Yes those are new GS Products Crane Ultra Pros with restricted plunger travel, he also has more street friendly/lower RPM ones with more plunger travel if needed.... & I think you are right we waited about 8 months to get them made. But my opinion is, they are the best Hyd roller lifter body on the planet (& only 48* Mopar out there)

Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449403
07/04/10 02:23 AM
07/04/10 02:23 AM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

You know we're available!! Who is doing the article?

Brian Hafliger
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Brian Hafliger] #449404
07/04/10 02:32 AM
07/04/10 02:32 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
Quote:

Quote:

John McGann of Car Craft Magazine was supposed to do a big stroker small block shootout between Ford/Mopar/Chevy. But last time I E-Mailed him he did not respond. Plus I do not think he wanted to dyno it anyways. Just pics and specs.

I figure if you or Steve wanted to dyno it I may let it happen. I do not have headers or a redundant ignition or carburator (yet), but could come up with plug wires if needed.

Last edited by dragrcr97; 07/04/10 02:38 AM.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449405
07/04/10 03:04 PM
07/04/10 03:04 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John McGann of Car Craft Magazine was supposed to do a big stroker small block shootout between Ford/Mopar/Chevy. But last time I E-Mailed him he did not respond. Plus I do not think he wanted to dyno it anyways. Just pics and specs.

I figure if you or Steve wanted to dyno it I may let it happen. I do not have headers or a redundant ignition or carburator (yet), but could come up with plug wires if needed.

We have an MSD digital 6/HVC coil and good wires. Also have TTI 1 7/8 headers, and some others.
You'll get better #'s from Westech I guarantee that!!
I just calibrated our dyno and it was spot on with what DTS outlines.
We're doing another build with John, but he's been out of town on assignments alot so he's very busy and has to basicly list things of importance and go from there. Plus, he's not in total control of what he gets to do.

But he's a very nice guy and easy to deal with. I'm sure if you document everything well and take good pics he'll find a way to run the story.
He uses alot of my pics.

I know Steve is probably closer to you Ron, so I understand if you take it there. Just thought I'd pimp us a little

Brian Hafliger
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Brian Hafliger] #449406
07/04/10 04:00 PM
07/04/10 04:00 PM
Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
P
PUNK Offline
top fuel
PUNK  Offline
top fuel
P

Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
I have a brand new 950hp that was custom built from PC Carb for Dougs new engine. That should do the job if you need a starter carb! Its got the billet metering block and all the bells and whistles. Lets make a trip to Indio Ron!!!

10.53 @ 125mph. 1.37 60 foot. Caltracs and Monoleafs, AFCO shocks.

Heads by INDIO MOTOR MACHINE; IMM.
CP Pistons, PC Carbs.
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: PUNK] #449407
07/05/10 12:05 AM
07/05/10 12:05 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline OP
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline OP
top fuel

USA
I am sorry, but I probably will not dyno the motor. I thought about it but I do not have anything pressing me to do it. I would rather take my time and put the motor in the Valiant and build the headers and get it running.

One other thing that happened resently I want to touch on. There is NOTHING I like more than taking a fully assymbled motor and having to GRIND on something inside it.

It seems Indy's Crap Machine Work got me too. The #2/7 cylinder Exhaust PR hole is out of place on these heads. Indy 360-1 245RP CNC heads. I was adjusting the lifter preload and thought something felt funny when I depressed the rocker and compressed the lifter plunger and moving the Pushrod. Felt kind of scrunchy. After careful examination I discovered the PR hole is offset toards the center of the motor and the pushrod is hitting. ALL others are centered and I had already checked this and everything seemed good. I had already mocked up TWICE and everything looked good and I know Ryan already did it once too as he remarked about the PR clearance. I was going to live with it because it did not seem that bad,,,,,,,but I then realised that the interfearence was actually pushing the whole rocker over and that would have been a disaster if I had run it. SO..........out comes the die grinder with a 4" long alumimum cutter after careful Prep with rags and so on and using the shop vac to catch as much as possible. Of course you cannot get it all and had to clean up what I could and hope the oil filter gets the rest..................Oh well. Live and learn. That is a good head but somehow they cannot get everything right no matter what! #@$%&@#

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449408
07/05/10 07:31 AM
07/05/10 07:31 AM
uk
TiMopar Offline
super stock
TiMopar  Offline
super stock

uk
If that engine runs a good as it looks, you will be well happy!

Re: It's FINISHED! [Re: Ron Silva] #449409
07/05/10 12:43 PM
07/05/10 12:43 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

I am sorry, but I probably will not dyno the motor. I thought about it but I do not have anything pressing me to do it. I would rather take my time and put the motor in the Valiant and build the headers and get it running.

One other thing that happened resently I want to touch on. There is NOTHING I like more than taking a fully assymbled motor and having to GRIND on something inside it.

It seems Indy's Crap Machine Work got me too. The #2/7 cylinder Exhaust PR hole is out of place on these heads. Indy 360-1 245RP CNC heads. I was adjusting the lifter preload and thought something felt funny when I depressed the rocker and compressed the lifter plunger and moving the Pushrod. Felt kind of scrunchy. After careful examination I discovered the PR hole is offset toards the center of the motor and the pushrod is hitting. ALL others are centered and I had already checked this and everything seemed good. I had already mocked up TWICE and everything looked good and I know Ryan already did it once too as he remarked about the PR clearance. I was going to live with it because it did not seem that bad,,,,,,,but I then realised that the interfearence was actually pushing the whole rocker over and that would have been a disaster if I had run it. SO..........out comes the die grinder with a 4" long alumimum cutter after careful Prep with rags and so on and using the shop vac to catch as much as possible. Of course you cannot get it all and had to clean up what I could and hope the oil filter gets the rest..................Oh well. Live and learn. That is a good head but somehow they cannot get everything right no matter what! #@$%&@#

Man...the problem with any metal in there is that if it makes it through the engine it's probably going to sit right at the hole to every journal and scrape things up until it's small enough to make it in and scratch the hell out of stuff.

Thw pictured bearings were out of my 360.
A frew magnum rocker bearings ate themselves for some reason and then caused the roller tips to cut into the shoulder seizing them. All this metal had no problem travelling through the oil and making me rather sad on the next oil change. scratched up the crank pretty good and the bearings speak for themselves. The result was that the oil pressure was randomly dropping to nothing at a 750 rpm idle with anything thinner than 20w50. lol

I'm not telling you anything you dont already know, but I'm just sayin!

Page 15 of 29 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29